Wednesday, 6 February 2008

Don't read this...



What on earth could it be?? Well, you asked. And don't say I didn't warn you.

I was flossing the other day when I felt something fall onto my tongue. What I fished out what is you see in the picture. Just a filling with a cool handle. This would be what resided in place of my right-hand second maxillary premolar; that fourth-last tooth on the top right; or "one-five" as one's dentist may call it out to the assistant filling out the way-too-full cavity chart. Okay, so I'm far too familiar with what goes on in the dentist's office.

This was not a big surprise, since it had been loose for a couple of months now. I was pretty sure it was just held in with a post (as seen in the pic) so I didn't know what was keeping it in place. Guess I didn't pull hard enough. Those barbs seem to do their job.

The molar that once existed had a big cavity right in the middle, so the dentist had put the filling (the one attached to the rebar above) in and secured that with a post. So basically there was the inner third of a tooth, then a big blob of filling, and then an outer third of tooth. The problem was that there was so little original tooth left that there wasn't much strength left. I was munching on a chicken drumstick one day when I bit onto something hard -- that was one piece of the original tooth gone. I'm not sure when the other piece broke off, but after that I simply couldn't chew with that side of my mouth.

Given my wonderful dental history, I'm used to favouring one side of my mouth or the other when chewing, knowing that a temporary resolution is only an unpleasant dentist visit away. Now I can finally chew normally (and eat faster!) again while I await some good dental coverage. I'm not in a big hurry -- there's no pain, and although there's now a big gap the root (or some semblance thereof) is still there and I don't expect my face to cave in overnight due to the structural loss.

Oh dental implants, how I yearn for about 28 of thee! (I don't expect I'll need fake wisdom teeth.)

6 comments:

  1. How much are dentures, anyway? If you do some math, you could figure out what would be cheaper in the long run - teeth in a dish, or more rebar . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as we've enjoyed rattling dentures over the years, implants are the way to go (titanium anchor in the jaw, screw in a nice fake tooth), but then it's one implant per tooth, and apparently a minimum of $1500 per implant. By the time I've saved up for those, I'll be 300 and will really need some teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you posted on that topic-oh wait- yes i can, this is andrew's blog right? ew!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man, this is going to be fuel for Reuben's fodder to convince me to go to the dentist for a check up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I know why I so look forward to your blogs. None of this day to day boring stuff!
    (Marian, carry on with the way you blog-at least I can go to the dentist after reading yours!)

    ReplyDelete